shug's place

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride! -- Source unknown

Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

What's there to say....

Thursday, January 19, 2006

I think I have a problem

I seriously think I am socially retarded. I don't know how to act anymore....

Sunday while we were in WalMart I almost started crying because I was there with Aunt B picking out yarn for an afghan she will be making for me. So the question is, why the hell would you almost start crying? It is all my Grandmother's fault. She had 26 grandchildren, 24 of whom had afghans made for them. Now, I am not the youngest of them all, so that doesn't explain why I didn't receive one. My brother got one, so the thought of her working by family doesn't pan out. No, my Grandmother did it out of spite. For some reason she did not like me. I remember the day that we found out she had died. I was crying and I turned to one of my co-workers and said "I have no idea why I'm crying, I didn't really like her much anyway...." So standing in the middle of WalMart with my friend who is now going to make me feel special by putting time and energy into something that my own flesh and blood would not do for me kind of got to me. But of course, I don't say anything because I'm the social retard.

Then there was an email I got from 87 this weekend telling me that one of her friends had died over the weekend and she asked if I knew our company's policy on funeral leave. Instead of responding with an I'm sorry to hear that or anything of that nature, I answered the question matter of factly, even advising her of what to say to her boss. Now you would think that my college education, especially the Death and Dying class would have come in handy here, but oh no, I'm the social retard!

And today was probably the worst. As if 87's week was not going bad enough, she got some unwanted news from the doctor. Of course the appointment was right before work (note to self, not doctor's appointments before or during work hours) so she did not want to be there. I of course ask what the problem is and she begins crying. I stand there like a dumb ass. I really wanted to go give her a hug and let her know that everything would work out, but again, the social retard has no idea what to do.

Does anyone know of a support group I can join????

1 Comments:

Blogger Aunt B said...

Shug! That is so sad. I would kick your grandma, but there's no use now.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home