shug's place

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride! -- Source unknown

Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

What's there to say....

Friday, December 23, 2005

Missing the farm...

So I was driving home from shopping this evening and a strange feeling came over me....

I guess in part it was because of the letter in the Christmas card I got from one of my aunts.... Actually it was not really a letter but an invitation to a New Year's eve gathering at her house. On the invitation one of the reasons she gave for the party was "To keep alive a family connection"... That phrase flashed me back to trips we took to my Dad's uncle's farm in Oklahoma. The farm had been in the family for generations. Every summer we used to drive down and spend what seemed like forever there (really it was only a week). Usually we brought my Grandma along because it was her brother's farm. I remember spending all day outside playing in the red dirt and climbing on the bails of hay in the hugh barn. But the best thing was when we stayed up till all hours of the night playing card games my aunt taught us. I haven't been there in about 6 years. And the worst thing of all is I will never be able to see the farm again because my uncle sold it about 2 years ago and moved in town. There is nothing left of the house or barns. It is all farmland now.

God it sucks to get older!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home