shug's place

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride! -- Source unknown

Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

What's there to say....

Monday, May 22, 2006

week in review....

So I’m sure you are all wondering how the trip to Mexico was. It was fantastic!! I was afraid that I wouldn’t have fun because I had never met most of the people who we were going to be around for the week. I was wrong! By the end of the week I was a totally different person (I’m guessing that this is mostly due to the amount of Tequila sunrises I gulped down!).
Monday was mostly spent in the travel mode. We were up at 3:30 am to make our plane at 7:00 am. After two Ativan, the plan ride wasn’t so bad. We arrived at the airport in Cancun about 11 and traveled on a bus for an hour to our destination. Our room was not ready when we arrived, so it was off to the bridal suite to change into our beach gear. The rest of the day was spent drinking at the pool and splashing around in the ocean.

Tuesday we were up early to schedule a trip to Chichen Itza. After the planning, we met up with some others from our group and took a van into Playa del Carmen for some shopping and sight seeing. And yes, we did run into an army man with an AK47. I was also offered pot by a couple of the vendors….. look at the pictures, do I look like someone who is lighting it up all the time??? Anyway, after that it was back to the hotel for more fun in the sun. That night we went to the night show and then to the open-air nightclub at the resort for some drinking and dancing….

Wednesday we were up at 5:30 am to make sure we were ready for the bus to Chichen Itza. The bus ride was 2 ½ hours inland. I was completely amazed by the size and craftsmanship of all the ruins. It made me want to learn more about the culture! We then stopped at another resort for lunch and swimming in a natural well. From the top of the well to the bottom of the water had to have been over 300 feet (people used to dive off the top of the well into the water below), 150 feet of that all water! They have since built a deck less than half way up for people to dive from. Once we got back to the resort, we joined the others for dinner. At dinner some of the other “non wedding party” guests and I did some flaming shots (the alcohol was set on fire and you were given a straw to drink from the bottom down. By the time it got to the bottom you could feel the fire burning in your throat!) The rest of the night was spent at the new nightclub, watching the half naked dancers trying to get everyone interested in dancing. We left that night the same time the dancers were leaving, so we of course got our picture taken with them!!

Thursday was the wedding day. The morning was spent snorkeling and kayaking with most of the men from the wedding party and a few others. Snorkeling was a lot of fun except for when I got caught up in shallow waters and tried to walk on the coral. I ended up tripping over my flippers and cutting my knee and wrist. I also got freaked out by some of the plants that were touching my while I swam by. I thought I was getting attacked by some fish or something!! Kayaking was fun! The first time out, I partnered with the groom and we went out as far as we could go. I thought we were a pretty good team (beat most of the 2 man teams!!) A bunch of us went back out in single person kayaks. We then headed back to the pools for a little sun before the wedding. The wedding was beautiful!! I was a bit surprised at how well it turned out with a little planning as there was! The reception included a 6 course dinner, most of which was good. After the reception, the party headed out to the nightclub. We ended up dancing and drinking until 2 am. I then had to make sure all my stuff was packed because we had to be on the bus at 6:30 am.

Friday it was back to reality…. Up at 5:30 am to check out and be ready for the bus at 6:30. Our flight didn’t leave until 11 am, but we had an hour bus ride and were required to be at the airport 3 hours early. I forgot to take the Ativan on time, so I had to make due with only one dose…. Not the best idea I had!! I ended up rocking a bit and holding my breath at times…. The rest of the day was spent in a daze…. I went to bed at 8 pm and was awoken at 10 by a phone call from my Mom. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out where I was or what was going on…. I’m assuming this was from exhaustion! I fell back to sleep instantly when I got off the phone….

Now you see why I didn’t want to come home???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home