shug's place

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride! -- Source unknown

Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

What's there to say....

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

What's in a Reaction?

I've been debating for the week on if I should post anything in regards to the hurricane. I decided that a lot of the things that I have been thinking could in ways be thought of as standing up for our President so I had decided not to post.... That was until I heard 2 view points expressed on NPR this moring while I was driving to work. I've been trying to think since this moring exactly how to put this into words. I guess I should first talk about the broadcast I heard. Basically the first was written by a Journalism professor in regards to how we have hidden our destitute away and it is not until now that we realize they were most impacted by the events of last week. The other, was by a someone I cannot recall right now and it was basically about how we've done the best we could do to get help into those areas hardest hit by the storm.

Here is my whole reaction to our reaction. Why the hell did we wait until after the hurricane to go in and help these people? This was a catagory 3/4 storm that hit a large portion of our Gulf Coast. Why were we not doing more to alert these people that they were in grave danger? Yes, we were broadcasting on TV and the radio, but couldn't we have done more?? It is not like this was a tornado that appeared out of no where.

Most of the people who stayed behind either did not know how much danger they were in or they did not have the transportation or the funds to get the hell out of there! How can a country who can deploy thousands upon thousands of troops to war in a foreign country not be able to get their poor and destitue out of the path of such destruction? Where were the logistically people that are supposed to be running our country? Where is the terror alert system people who can tell us terroists are coming??? What was everyone thinking, "ooohh, lets see how many people die and how much gets destroyed before we take action." Didn't anyone learn from their sex ed class (this is the only class I could think of that most men would pay attention in {sorry guys but you know it's true!}) that being prepared was the best way to prevent?

Please see Aunt B. for more information on why Mr. Bush was not the best choice to lead our country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home